Minzu University Delegation Visits Scripps College
CLAREMONT, Calif. (January 29, 2010) — A delegation of professors from Minzu University of China’s School of Ethnology and Sociology will participate in a weeklong series of roundtable discussions and forums sponsored by Scripps College. The talks focus on the role of ethnology and anthropology in modern China and are free and open to the public.
The series begins February 1 with “Ethnic Identity in China: New Perspectives in Research,” a roundtable panel discussion with faculty delegation members. Moderated by Dru Gladney of Pomona College’s Pacific Basin Institute, the talk begins at 4:30pm and is hosted in Pomona’s Hahn Building, Room 101.
Additional events taking place during the series include interviews with various professors throughout the day and an oral history of Minzu University’s School of Ethnology on February 4. For further information regarding these events, contact Professor Hao Huang at (909) 607-3266, or consult the Scripps College Events Calendar.
Speakers in the series include:
- Yang Shengmin, Ph.D, Dean of the School of Ethnology and Sociology;
- Liu Mingxin, Ph.D, Associate Dean of the School of Ethnology and Sociology and Associate Professor of Ethnology;
- Wu Xiaoyan, Ph.D, Associate Dean of the School of Ethnology and Sociology;
- Ding Hong, Ph.D, Professor of Ethnology;
- Wang Qingren, Ph.D, Professor of Ethnology; and
- Dan Smyer Yu, Ph.D, Visiting Professor of Anthropology.
Minzu University is China’s top academy of ethnic studies and is home to each of China’s 56 distinct ethnic groups. With 70% of its 15,000 full-time students considered an ethnic minority, it “serves as a microcosm” of China’s diverse ethnic background.
List of Events
- Monday, February 1st, 4:30 pm, Hahn 101 Pomona
Pacific Basin Institute co-sponsored Roundtable discussion, “Ethnic Identity in China: New Perspectives and Research”
- Wednesday, February 3, 12-1:00 pm, Vita Nova Conference Room
Interviews with Prof. Ding Hong, Prof. Dan Smyer Yu, and Associate Dean Wu Xiaoyan
- Wednesday, February 3, 2:45-4 pm, Scripps Humanities Auditorium
Medical Anthropology in China with Prof. Wang Qingren
- Thursday, February 4, 2:45-4 pm, Scripps Vita Nova Conference Room
Oral History of Minzu University School of Ethnology with Dean Yang Shengmin